Saturday, September 15, 2012

Almost Too Hot to Thrift

We are experiencing a heat wave here in Southern California. It is almost, but not quite, too hot to go  thrifting. I hit a few sales early this morning and then it just got too hot to keep going.

Even with this heat I was able to find a true treasure. My favorite find is this silver plated trophy. It was awarded to the Seal Beach Grammar School at the Huntington Beach Armistice Day Parade. I believe this dates to about the late 1920s. It has such a lovely patina. I have been hoping to find an old trophy for quite some time.
I also found an interesting anatomy book from 1919...



The book was an art school reference book with nice old illustrations but I also discovered from the hand written notes that the instructor was Emil Janel. I looked up this artist and found that he was known for his wood carvings of people. I really enjoy finding more about the fascinating history behind the treasures I thrift.

I also found the metal Finch sculpture which, alas, has no history that I am aware of.

I enjoy scrapbooking so I was happy to find this beautiful, old, teal Scrapbook in unused condition. The embossing on the cover is so beautiful.

I found a small bag of old brown buttons that are celluloid, Bakelite and old plastics. The silver plated bowl that they sit in is a Reed & Barton piece.
I think this glass dish was either called a refridgerator dish or salt dish. I just like the size for organizing small items.
As a side note: my early morning travels had me driving around Disneyland in search of treasures just as the day was dawning.

Please be sure and regularly check out my store, Stuff to Treasure to find many unique items for sale. Or Like my store's Facebook page to find out when I post new items in my store.

I hope everyone had a fun day of thrifting.

This is linked to:
Brambleberry CottageThe Colorado Lady and The Thrifty Groove

2 comments:

  1. You definitely found some very vintage items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did find some fun treasures. That trophy is awesome! Thank you for joining us for TTF last week. I hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...